Servings: 1 sandwich
- 2 slices bread of choice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3 slices prosciutto
- Using a biscuit or cookie cutter, cut a 2-inch hole from the center of both slices of bread. Melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. When it’s melted, add the two slices of bread. Let the bread lightly toast for a minute, or until lightly golden brown, and then flip the two slices over. Dab the remaining butter in the middle of the bread circles. We want to ensure the egg doesn’t stick.
- Crack the eggs into the holes and season with salt and pepper. If you’re using prosciutto, chill with the salt. Just add a little.
- Cover the pan for a minute, just until the egg whites are sorta set. Next, add the grated cheese to one half and cover for another minute, or until the cheese is practically melted.
- Using a spatula, gently top the cheese slice with the egg slice. Cook for one more minute, or until the cheese is melted.
Results: Mmm Mmmm Good. I made my version with one egg and no prosciutto, though if you’re so inclined the meat would add a wonderful depth to the flavor, I’m sure. There’s really nothing healthy about this meal, but as far as comfort food goes, it’s a winner!